“Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments…”
Catechism of the Catholic Church #1213
The Sacrament of Baptism is one of three sacraments of “initiation.” It bestows God’s grace upon the baptized to wash away original sin, claim the baptized for Christ Jesus, and incorporate the baptized into the Church.
Becoming Catholic is one of life’s most profound and joyous experiences. Some receive this great gift while they are infants, and over time they recognize the enormous grace that has been bestowed on them. Others enter the Catholic fold when they are older as children or adults. We welcome both children and adults to celebrate baptism with great faith and joy.
Baptism for Infants & Children 6 years or Younger
It is important to understand that only parents or legal guardians may request baptism for their child(ren). Other well-meaning family members must defer to the wishes and plans of the parents or legal guardians.
Baptisms are celebrated in the church on Sunday mornings after the 11:15 a.m. Mass. For more information or to have your child baptized at Saints Simon & Jude Parish, we invite you to contact the parish office at (714) 962-3333 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help the parents and Godparents to better understand the joy and commitment of raising their child(ren) in the Catholic faith, we require that they participate in a Baptism Preparation Class prior to the Baptism.
Preparation Class Schedule – Parents & Godparent please click here.
- January 17, February 7 & March 13
- Time: 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Location: Franciscan Room
If the godparents are out of the area, they may attend a preparation class at their home parish. If a preparation, class is taken at another parish a certificate of class completion must be provided to Saints Simon & Jude at least 1 week prior to the Baptism.
If you wish to schedule a Baptism
- Please fill out the online Baptism Intake Form (link below), or download, print, and return a paper form.
- Please note that there is a $50 registration/donation fee for registered & donating parishioners. This is to cover the cost of materials and maintenance. Checks should be made out to “St. Simon & Jude Church”. Online donations can be made on the website (please note the child’s name), or donations can be made in person at the parish office or in-person class.
- Indicate your preferred month – We will not be able to confirm a date until all the requirements are completed.
- If you live outside of Saints Simon & Jude parish boundaries, we require a letter stating you are free to Baptism outside of your parish boundaries there is a $100.00 registration/donation fee.
- There is a $25 fee or donation should the parents/godparents be taking the class only (when the child is baptized at another parish)
Online Baptism Forms
- Click here for Baptism Intake form
- Click here for Godfather Affidavit form
- Click here for Godmother Affidavit form
- Click here for the role and eligibility of Godparents
- Click here for Christian Witness Intake form
As part of the process of preparing for the Baptism of your child, you must make a faith commitment to help understand the seeds of God’s life and faith that are planted and nourished in your child’s heart.
An excellent resource for parents and Godparents as a supplement to classes is the free parish online subscription to FORMED – click here. Specifically, the following video series is recommended – “REBORN: You, Your Child and the Heart of Baptism”.
Unbaptized Adults or children 7 – 18 years old
Those who are seven (7) years or older are required to participate in the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) or the Rite of Christian Initiation for Children (RCIC) to prepare for their baptisms.
This is a personal journey in which each person examines and seeks to deepen their personal relationship with God. It is a journey guided by the Gospel and led by members of the Saints Simon & Jude community.
If you are interested in learning more, please contact the parish office at (714) 962-3333 or at email@example.com.