Sts. Simon & Jude Visual Arts Competition
Celebrating the arts with children as a way to evangelize, fundraise and transform the parish
2018 THEME: St. Francis & St. Clare
What comes to mind when you think of St. Francis and/or St. Clare of Assisi? There are so many stories that come to us from their lives. These two saints have left us many writings that help to explain their relationship to God and how they uniquely experienced God. Children will be asked to create pictures based on anything related to the Franciscan charism.
GENERAL RULES and GUIDELINES:
1) Participating children must be members of registered families at Sts. Simon & Jude parish and also be registered in the parish school and/or a parish faith formation program.
2) Each entry must be an original, 2-dimensional work of art (not a copy of someone else’s work) and based on the given theme. References may be used to inspire work but not copied. Any work considered a copy of someone else’s art will be rejected.
3) Entries must measure approximately standard copy paper size (8 1/2 by 11 inches) and not be mounted or framed. If canvas or some other harder surface is preferred then children may use the closest, proportional size, such as 8x10 or 9x12 inches tall. ARTWORK MUST BE ORIENTED TO BE VIEWED IN THE VERTICAL POSITION.
4) All entries will be judged by a panel and awarded points for originality, overall beauty of composition, and execution. Those totaling the highest points will be the winners in these grade/age levels:
LEVEL A: Kindergarten through 2nd Grade;
LEVEL B: 3rd Grade through 5th Grade;
LEVEL C: 6th Grade through 8th Grade.
5) PRIZES: One entry will receive BEST OF SHOW: $200 CASH PRIZE
And each of the grade levels, A, B, and C will be awarded the following prizes:
a. First Prize: $100 Gift Card to local art store (like Aaron Brothers or Michael’s)
b. Second Prize: $50 Gift Card to local art store (like Aaron Brothers or Michael’s)
c. Third Prize: $25 Gift Card to local art store (like Aaron Brothers or Michael’s)
6) Each entry must be accompanied by an official registration form and a processing fee of $10. Only one entry per child. Registration forms may be obtained on the parish website, parish, school or faith formation offices.
7) All entries become the property of Sts. Simon & Jude Parish. Winning entries will be framed and displayed in order to be purchased at an auction during the weekend of the Festival of the Arts, coinciding with the musical production, Beautiful City, May 18 and 19, 2018. Some winning entries will be featured on the SSJ Parish Bulletin cover.
8) PLEASE BRING ORIGINAL ART WORK with APPLICATION FORM and $10 PROCESSING FEE to the PARISH FRANCISCAN ROOMS on Friday, May 11, 2018 between 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. No entries will be received before or after that time period. Winners will be announced the following weekend and their work will be displayed in the Franciscan Rooms for auction that weekend.
MAY THE SPIRIT OF ST. FRANCIS and ST. CLARE INSPIRE YOUR ARTISTIC CREATIONS!
LINKS TO STORIES AND DOCUMENTS ABOUT ST. FRANCIS AND ST. CLARE