Ministries

Historical Stories - 1909

Red_CarIn January 1909, St. Anthony’s Parish in Long Beach began ministering the Huntington Beach Catholic community by providing priests for Sunday Masses.  The explanation for the change may have been due to the fact that roads were few and far between to the beach city from St. Joseph’s in Santa Ana, making it a difficult and time-consuming effort to reach the Mission Church by horse and buggy.  In addition, the priests at St. Joseph’s were responsible for a rather large territory, which included most all of southern Orange County.

To alleviate this problem, the Diocese asked Fr. James Reardon the Pastor, of St. Anthony’s in Long Beach to provide priests for Masses at the mission church.  They would travel down the Pacific Coast from St. Anthony’s in what was believed to be an electric automobile, but in reality was most probably the Pacific & Electric “Red Car” train (the Red Car had begun servicing the beach community in July 1904).

In the January 5, 1909, issue of the Tidings, the schedule for Masses at St. Anthony’s in Long Beach includes a Mass schedule for Huntington Beach at 10th and Orange Streets, with no mention of the name of the church. Masses were at 9:15 a.m. every Sunday and at 8:00 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. every second Sunday.

Previous Story Next Story