Historical Stories 1967 - The Parish School Opens

Sr._Virginia_BoosIn September 1967, the parish school, called St. Francis, opened. The area later occupied by the lower grades is used as a church; the upper grade area serves as a parish hall.

The Sisters of St. Francis had also arrived and were busy with the first days of school. Sr. Virginia Boos was named Principal, with Sr. Ruth Ann Blomstad, Sr. Helen Martinez, Sr. Deborah Lockwood, Sr. Clare Krolikowski, Sr. Beth Gregory, Sr. Claudine Herbelin, Sr. Inez Baierski, Sr. Marietta Chvilieck and Sr. Mary Clement assigned to the school.

The official name of the order to which these nuns belong is the Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Charity. Founded in 1835 in the Netherlands, they migrated to the United States in 1874. Six years later, in 1900, the Franciscan Friars invited the Sisters to join their ministry to the people of Sacramento, California. Soon, the Sisters began working in other Franciscan parishes on the west coast. They also began work in health care in 1911 in Havre, Montana. The first Provincial Center was in Monrovia, California. Later it was moved to Sierra Madre and in 1961 it was moved again to its current location in Redwood City, California.

Sisters Clare, Beth and Claudine have left their community. Sisters Inez, Marietta and Mary are all deceased. Sister Virginia Boos is now retired and a happy volunteer “hugger” in the neonatal ward at a hospital in Mountain View, California; Sister Ruth Ann Blomstad is now Sister Susan Blomstad and is on staff at the Franciscan Retreat Center at the Franciscan Province in Santa Barbara. Sister Helen Martinez is now Sister Maria Elena Martinez and resides at their Province Headquarters in Redwood City, California.

Previous Story Next Story